Hiring + recruiting | Blog Post
How To Hire a Ruby on Rails Developer
Share this post
If you and your company are looking to hire a Ruby on Rails developer to create a website or web application, you probably have a few questions about hiring the best developer for your needs. So let’s find out everything there is to know about how to hire an amazing Ruby on Rails developer.
To successfully hire a Ruby on Rails developer, you must set clear expectations, including budget, timeline, and requirements. There are several advantages to hiring a Ruby programmer, but you first need to understand what to look for and find the right one for your company!
This article will discuss what makes a good Ruby on Rails developer, offer a step-by-step guide on creating a successful job posting, and even what interview questions you should ask. In just a few moments, you will have all the information you need to hire the best possible Ruby on Rails developer for your team!
What Are the Advantages of RoR Developers?
The first thing you need to understand before you hire a Ruby on Rails developer is what they can offer.
Now, there are several reasons why Ruby programmers are in such high demand; here are a few of our favorite aspects of the RoR web-development framework:
- Security: Ruby development offers built-in protection through its code libraries and plug-ins, which will protect your data. Once the code is implemented and the site is up and running, companies can apply Access Control through Ruby on Rails to continue to safeguard against cyber attacks.
- Cost-Effective: Many companies use Ruby on Rails outsourcing as it is an affordable developing option. Ruby developers can work quickly as the code has features such as DRY and Scaffolding. That means less time paid by your company for a ready-to-use and often superior product.
- Bug-Free Code: Ruby websites and applications are known for being user-friendly and error-free. The many test codes within the various Ruby styles allow for bug-free and reliable development.
- Fast & Easy Development: Companies love the Ruby framework as it is highly productive upon creation as well as even after the code is complete. It allows for simple changes as it supports Rapid Application Development and testing automation.
If hiring a Ruby on Rails developer is looking pretty good right about now, you will certainly want to know how to start the process.
Step-By-Step Guide to Hire a RoR Developer
When it comes to hiring the perfect Ruby on Rails programmer for your company, there are several factors you’ll need to consider.
First, you need to decide and define your expectations clearly. Do you need a developer who can handle front-end and back-end concepts? Do you want a junior Ruby developer who may be more cost-efficient or a senior programmer with more experience at a higher price tag?
You also need to set your expected budget, timeline, and general expectations of the website or application so that you can clearly express your requirements and needs to the potential developer.
Once you know what you want, the following steps are easy!
- Navigate to a site or company with available Ruby programmers (recommendations to come in the following section.)
- Create a job listing that clearly expresses the needs of your company.
- Assess potential developers. Ensure to check for turnaround times, previous responsibilities, and employer reviews.
- Employ technical skills tests with various coding evaluations to make sure the developer understands at least the following frameworks.
- MVC Programming Paradigm
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Garbage Collection
- AJAX Operation
- Model-View-Controller (MVC)
To hire the perfect RoR programmer for your company, you must first understand what you want. Then you can easily find the one who will be able to fulfill your company’s needs.
Where To Find The Best Ruby on Rails Developer to Hire
Now, the next step in hiring a Ruby on Rails developer is finding one!
While you certainly can find potential programmers on sites such as LinkedIn, Guru, and various freelance platforms, it can prove challenging to ensure these applicants have the background and experience they claim to have.
However, on other platforms, you can find the best vetted, quality-talent Ruby developers at an affordable price point. That’s where Terminal comes in.
What to Ask Your RoR Developer Candidates
Once you contact a potential Ruby developer, the next step is the interview process.
It is essential that you ask the right questions to make sure you are not only expressing what your company needs but also learning what the developer has to offer to find out if they are the right fit.
Here are a few critical questions you should ask:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Ruby on Rails?
- What features of Ruby have you successfully used on past projects?
- Name some protection features that Ruby offers.
- How do you use garbage collection on your projects?
- Do you understand how to use AJAX Operations within the Ruby framework?
You should continue by asking about the various frameworks, such as garbage control, dynamic and duck typing, CSRF, etc., once you understand that the applicant has a solid grasp of Ruby.
Final Thoughts on How to Hire a Ruby on Rails Developer
Just remember, while Ruby programmers have a lot to offer before you start the hiring process, you need to be sure of what you want and need from a new hire.
If you have any more questions on what an RoR developer can do for your company, or want to start the process of onboarding one, you can reach out to us here at Terminal any time!
Continue to explore the rest of Terminal’s content offerings. If you are interested in learning more about how Terminal can support your organization and accomplish your development goals, please get in touch with our team!