Hiring + recruiting | Blog Post
How to Hire a Frontend Developer
Share this post
If you want to offer the best possible digital product or service to your customers and users, a solid and user-friendly experience is absolutely essential. This is where learning how to hire a frontend developer is vitally important. Frontend developers will ensure your site runs smoothly and is easy to understand and access.
In order to hire a frontend developer, you must ensure you set solid expectations to fully understand what you need from them, and make sure they are knowledgeable and can communicate well with others. The best front end developer uses their skill set to create the perfect content and interactive web page for a user.
So let’s find out how to hire the perfect frontend developer for your team! Below we cover everything there is to know about how to hire the right frontend developer, including the right interview questions to ask and even where to find the best candidates.
Advantages of Hiring a Frontend Developer
The first thing you need to understand before hiring a frontend developer is what they can offer your team. When it comes to responsibilities, the frontend developer has a lot of them as it is their job to ensure your project is user-friendly and ready for the public!
A great frontend developer can do all of the following things:
- Frontend developers have at least a basic understanding of testing, debugging, and security protocols.
- They will ensure the interface is easy to use via simple and efficient site or app designs.
- They follow SEO practices to create a site that fits within the algorithm.
- They use tools to create a project that is accessible no matter what browser or device is being used.
- They will also work hand in hand with back-end dev employees and project managers to create a cohesive site or application.
The bottom line is that the frontend developer is an essential member of the team, as it is their job to design and create a bug-free interface that your customer is going to love using day after day.
Step-by-Step Guide to Hiring a Frontend Developer
Now that you know why you need a front end developer and what they can offer, let’s talk about what you need to do to ensure you hire the perfect one!
- Figure out what you need from a front end developer. It is specifically important that you know what kind of site or app you want, including basic branding and design concepts, as well as what the consumer needs to be able to access on the platform. If you have a clear vision ahead of time, you are more likely to hire the right front end developer the first time around and can build a team around those first hires.
- Set a budget. There are hundreds of available front end developers that might be right for the job, but opting for a senior programmer will cost a lot more than a junior developer. You should understand the industry salaries being offered and the budget you have for the new employee before starting your search.
- Create realistic expectations. Once again, if you know what you need before the project even begins, it will run much smoother and probably a lot faster! If you create realistic expectations, you will understand before you hire if the candidate is right for the position.
- Ask the right questions. During the interview process, it is vital that you prompt the applicant with the right questions so that you know if they check the boxes you need in a developer. (Luckily, we have 10 fantastic interview questions in the next section!)
- Ensure they can communicate well with others. While it’s easy to get caught up in the technical requirements, you should also be aware that the frontend developer needs to work cohesively with the back-end team and project managers. It is important to ensure they have soft skills like communication and are team-oriented.
10 Interview Questions to Ask a Frontend Developer
When you are ready to interview a potential frontend programmer for your company, you need to know what kind of questions to ask them to ensure they have both the technical and non-technical skills you need to accomplish your goals.
Here are 10 of our favorite interview questions for frontend developers:
- What does SOLID stand for?
- Explain the difference between Git Push and Git Pull.
- How do you Create Nested Web Pages in HTML?
- What are three ways to decrease page load time?
- Do you have experience with progressive rendering? (Provide an example.)
- How do you communicate issues with other developers?
- How do you handle testing on your projects?
- Please explain user-centered designs and how you’ve used them on past projects.
The final step to hiring the best possible frontend developer is knowing where to find them!
Where to Find the Perfect Frontend Developer
Realistically, you can find a frontend developer on a variety of online platforms, including social media, job portals, and directories. Sites such as Monster, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Upwork, and many others have dozens of frontend developer applicants.
However, on these platforms, it can be extremely challenging to ensure you are seeing truly experienced developers as they are not checked before uploading their profile and resume.
If you want to start the process of interviewing and onboarding the perfect frontend developer, you can contact Terminal today, and we will find you the perfect candidate from our vast selection of frontend developers in no time!
Continue to explore the rest of Terminal’s content offerings. If you are interested in learning more about how Terminal can support your organization and accomplish your development goals, please get in touch with our team!