Hiring + recruiting | Blog Post
How to Hire a Backend Developer
Share this post
Backend developers are a necessary hire if you are trying to create the perfect app or site for your company. They will focus on the backend aspects of the program, including security, architecture, internal communication, and building APIs. But how do you go about hiring the right backend developer for your needs? Let’s find out!
If you want to learn everything there is to know about what a backend dev can do for you, as well as how to hire one, where you can find the best candidates, and what questions to ask in the interview, keep reading -this article has absolutely everything you need to know.
What Can a Backend Developer Do For You?
Before we dig into the details of how to hire a backend developer, you should first understand exactly what these employees can offer.
When hiring a backend developer, you need to ensure they are vetted and experienced in various languages, security measures, testing, fixing bugs, and internal coding and communication. You also want to be sure you ask the right questions during the interview process and select a candidate who can work well in a team!
Here’s what a great backend developer can do for you:
- They will ensure your project is created to run smoothly and efficiently. Backend developers use coding to produce a site or app with substantial architecture, security, data, and internal communication.
- With backend logic, APIs, and a variety of programming languages, backend developers create what happens behind the scenes of any program.
- They perform testing along the way to fix any bugs that may occur.
- Backend developers communicate with the front-end team, as well as management, to ensure everyone understands how the platform works and provide support for any troubleshooting or development issues.
Essentially, the backend developer uses frameworks to create the app or site from the ground up, and they are truly the foundation on which everything else is built..
So, it’s time to talk about how to hire the perfect backend developer for your project!
Step-by-Step Guide to Hiring a Backend Developer
Backend developers are behind-the-scenes experts, and hiring them right now can make all the difference when it comes to the productivity, efficiency, and user-friendly nature of your website or application.
Here’s what to do:
- Figure out what kind of developer you need. The first thing you should do is establish with the project manager and existing staff what type of backend developer you need. They may need to be an expert in a specific language, such as Ruby Rails, Java, or Python, which would change your search requirements when looking for the right programmer.
- Create a budget. Some developers cost more than others. So you should first set a budget for salary to find out if you can afford a senior specialist and team lead or if you can get by with a junior developer.
- Set expectations. Understanding exactly what you need the backend developer to do is essential. Of course, you don’t need to comprehend how they’ll do it, but with clear expectations, you are far more likely to hire the right person on the first try.
- Ask the right questions. When you finally sit down for an interview with a backend developer, you need to ensure you ask the right questions to find out if they are the right fit for your staff and needs. But don’t worry; we have the perfect questions in the following section!
- Look out for the right mix of soft skills. In addition to being an adept coder, tester, and site or app creator, you also want a backend developer who can work well with others, is communicative, and can focus on the important details of any project.
Now that you understand what you need to do ahead of time before starting the hiring process, you need to understand what questions to ask a potential backend developer to find out if they know their stuff!
What to Ask a Backend Developer in an Interview
Backend developers are responsible for the creation, security, internal communication, and data collection aspects of your site or app. In the interview process, you should ask the following questions to ensure they are ready for the job!
- Which frameworks do you feel most comfortable with?
- Do you prefer working with Python, Java, or PHP, and why?
- Are you confident using the MongoDB and MySQL database platforms?
- What is your approach to testing and debugging?
- Can you explain the difference between cohesion and coupling?
- If you need to communicate an issue with a front-end developer, how would you do so?
- How did you ensure your last project met security requirements?
These are just a few important questions to ask, and of course, you can focus more on their technical skill set or their problem-solving and communication abilities, depending on what is most important to your team.
Either way, you are now ready to find, interview, and hire the backend developer your company needs! The final step is to know where to find them.
Where to Find the Best Backend Developer
Finding a backend developer application isn’t challenging, as they exist on numerous platforms.
Many job portals such as Monster or Indeed have a variety of backend developers, as do freelance sites such as Upwork, and social media platforms like LinkedIn.
However, locating and hiring the best possible employee requires a little more attention to detail as not all of the candidates on these sites will be vetted with substantial experience and knowledge.
Luckily, here at Terminal, we have an incredible selection of backend developers who not only provide impressively high-quality work, but also have references and substantial experience so that you can be confident they are fantastic applicants!
Continue to explore the rest of Terminal’s content offerings. If you are interested in learning more about how Terminal can support your organization and accomplish your development goals, please get in touch with our team!